A local firefighter received word that his own house was going up in flames Tuesday morning in Wilson County.
Fire was shooting through the roof by the time the firefighter and his crew arrived on the scene around 7:30 a.m. in the Chandler Pointe subdivision.
Three people, who were asleep inside the home when the blaze broke out, were able to escape safely, and investigators believe the fire likely started in an upstairs room.
"Joe said, 'Ashlyn, I smell smoke. I smell smoke.' And I jumped up out of my bed, ran upstairs and told my mom, 'The house is on fire,'" said Ashlyn White.
White's stepfather, a firefighter and emergency medical technician in training, was then called to put out the fire that was engulfing his own home.
"The house was engulfed. I rode here on the fire engine. It was pretty much a loss at that point. Flames were shooting about 100 feet high. It was out of control," said firefighter Tracy Combs. "I still think I'm in shock a little bit. You just don't think this kind of stuff happens to you."
No one was hurt, but the family's cat is still missing.
Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
322 Shipyard Boulevard