Tempers are boiling over in Assumption Parish five months after that
sinkhole forced nearly 300 people out of their homes. Some people are desperate
and want the federal government to intervene.
What exactly caused the sinkhole? How much longer will we have to be out
of our homes? Questions Bayou Corne residents have been asking for five months
"I believe that the petition that we started , it really needs to get those
signatures because I think that it's just beyond the resources the state
government has at their disposal at this point," said Alicia Heilig, a resident.
The petition asks that the sinkhole and the land around it be declared a
federal disaster area and that the feds come in to investigate.
"Five months into this sinkhole, and we're not any closer to any
resolution than we were day one," said John Achee, whose family has owned a
camp on the bayou for more than 30 years."I wish it was like you see on TV
when you have the local cops, and the FBI comes in and tells everybody get out
the way. That's what I'd like to see, federal government come in here...get all
of these yo-yos out of the way and investigate this thing right."
But the state Department of Natural Resources say the feds are involved
and have been since the sinkhole appeared.
"We've engaged the United States
Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of the Interior, Sandia
International Labs," said Interim DNR Secretary Stephen Chustz. "We welcome
their input, and they continue to be involved in the process through our
Chustz says each day this team of scientists is collecting new data but
says things could be easier with more cooperation from Texas Brine.
"They failed to meet many of the deadlines that have been set and the
commissioner's directives. And we believe that if they are unable to meet those
deadlines, then they need to seriously consider buying these folks out who want
to leave the Bayou Corne area because they fear for their safety," said Chustz.
So far, the petition has over 365 signatures, but needs a total of 25,000 before Feb. 4.
The petition was drawn up a day after Texas Brine, the owner of the failed salt dome believed to be the cause of the sinkhole, filed an injunction against the state of Louisiana. Click here for more
The company claims exploratory wells ordered by the Office of Conservation commissioner could cause more problems in the area.
Meanwhile, more rumbling was detected around the Bayou Corne site over the weekend.
However, experts said there is no need to worry. The tremors were connected with a 7.5 magnitude quake that struck off the coast of Alaska.
Experts said the quake was too far away to have any effect on the sinkhole.
The Assumption Parish, LA sinkhole continues to grow. The ground opened up on August 3, 2012 and residents were evacuated from their homes. Click here to see the photos from August 2012 until now.More >>
The Assumption Parish, LA sinkhole continues to grow. The ground opened up on August 3, 2012 and residents were evacuated from their homes. The sinkhole, or slurry, is consuming land and trees. Many images are from the Assumption Parish Police Jury. Click here to see the photos from August until now. More >>
322 Shipyard Boulevard
Wilmington, NC 28412
Main Phone Number: (910) 791-8070
Newsroom: (910) 791-6681