PENDER COUNTY, NC (WECT) – Pastor Jeff Daw, with the Lighthouse Worship Center in Rocky Point, is putting the pieces back together after a nearby fire damaged his church.
Monday, a fire burned the Dollar General on Highway 117 with smoke and even some flames spreading next door.
Pastor Daw, who also serves as a volunteer firefighter with the Rocky point Fire Department, said the protective firewall did its job for the most part, and the church is in pretty good shape. There is, however, some smoke and water damage to the walls and ceilings.
The protective firewall will eventually need to be replaced.
The smell of smoke is still very heavy inside the church, but its insurance company provided them with humidifiers to help alleviate that problem.
The church was connected to the same electrical wiring as the Dollar General, so right now the church is without power. Daw said that is their biggest issue right now.
As for the Dollar General, Daw believes it to be a total loss. According to the store manager, the plan is to rebuild the store but that could be a very lengthy process because they will have to gut the building and start from scratch.
Lighthouse Church services are officially cancelled for Wednesday, but Daw hopes that an electrician can come out to the church and get the power reconnected before Sunday.
If the power is not fixed by Sunday, Daw said the church will hold services at an alternative location.
Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.
322 Shipyard Boulevard