Pleasure Island to receive more than $9M for renourishment - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Pleasure Island to receive more than $9M for renourishment

Posted: Updated:
The money is part of the federally sponsored Coastal Storm Damage Reduction Project. The money is part of the federally sponsored Coastal Storm Damage Reduction Project.

PLEASURE ISLAND, NC (WECT) – More than $9 million has been made available to renourish Carolina and Kure Beach. Congressman Mike McIntrye made the announcement Monday.

The money is part of the federally sponsored Coastal Storm Damage Reduction Project.

According to a press release from McIntyre's office, the money will be split almost evenly between the two communities.

"Carolina Beach and Kure Beach are important economic engines for the Cape Fear region that must be preserved and protected," said McIntyre in a press release. " I am pleased that these federal funds will be used to ensure that the coastline is protected to prevent further erosion. It is imperative to the local economy that the beaches are maintained in order for the Cape Fear Coast to remain a premier vacation destination."

Federal spending will cover 65 percent of the cost of the project and non-federal sponsors will cover the remaining 35 percent.

Sand placement will likely begin in late December or early January.

Copyright 2012 WECT. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow