Sexual assault investigation complete, trooper back on the roads - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Sexual assault investigation complete, trooper back on the roads

Posted: Updated:
Trooper Bryan R. Phillips (Source: State Highway Patrol/First Sergeant Jeff Gordon) Trooper Bryan R. Phillips (Source: State Highway Patrol/First Sergeant Jeff Gordon)

NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) – A trooper accused of sexual assault earlier this year is patrolling the streets again.

According to Highway Patrol, Trooper Bryan Phillips was placed on administrative duty earlier this year, pending an internal investigation into allegations of sexual assault, which is now complete.

Authorities said no other punishment or action was taken against Phillips and results of the investigation cannot be released because they are in his personal file.

A preliminary investigation by the Wilmington Police Department found no criminal activity. The accuser then requested a second investigation. The New Hanover County District Attorney's Office then asked the SBI to investigate allegations of sexual assault by Phillips.

"I find no evidence of criminal conduct by Trooper Phillips in this case," said David. "There's conduct that he engaged in and the alleged victim that neither should be proud of – but no crime was committed."

The two exchanged 563 text messages from July 20 to July 24, according to David. Those text messages included sexually explicit content along with inappropriate pictures. David said the alleged rape happened on July 23, 2012.

Records showed three calls and nine text messages were sent after a police report was filed. Those texts, according to David, clearly showed the sexual relationship between Phillips and the accuser was consensual.

Copyright 2012 WECT. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow