NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) – The Head Start program in Wilmington will no longer be operated by New Hanover County Community Action Inc. after the Department of Health and Human Services denied the organization's appeal request earlier this week.
Earlier this year, the Department of Health and Human Services informed the group that funding for the program would be cut off for various unresolved issues dating back to 2009. The agency appealed the notice, but was denied.
The NHC Community Action Board chairman said in May the agency did not correct three problems, but added that some of the issues had been addressed.
"Failure to timely correct even on deficiency is an adequate basis for terminating a Head Start grant," the Department of Health and Human Services wrote in the official decision document.
It is unclear at this time who will take over the program and when.
In May, Executive Director Cynthia Brown said there are 260 students in the Head Start program in New Hanover County.
According to officials, there will be a parent meeting to explain the transition, which could have a two week disruption in services.
Beginning Monday, the feds will have a team of experts looking for space for classrooms.
A toll free information line will also be established for updates to parents.
No other details have been released at this point.
Copyright 2012 WECT. All rights reserved.
322 Shipyard Boulevard