Thursday, February 27 2014 4:50 PM EST2014-02-27 21:50:22 GMT
Bradley Dale Peveto is returning to LSU as the Tigers special teams coordinator.Peveto joined the Tigers in 2005 serving as the special teams coordinator and linebackers coach before being promoted inMore >>
Peveto joined the Tigers in 2005 serving as the special teams coordinator and linebackers coach before being promoted in 2008 to co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.More >>
Wednesday, February 26 2014 3:51 PM EST2014-02-26 20:51:28 GMT
Former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis and New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan will be guest speakers at this year's LSU Football Coaches Clinic.The clinic will be held at the PeteMore >>
Former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis and New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan will be guest speakers at this year's LSU Football Coaches Clinic.More >>
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - LSU says it has granted reserve quarterback Stephen Rivers' request to transfer after he graduates this spring, allowing him to play wherever he wants next fall. Rivers, theMore >>
LSU says it has granted reserve quarterback Stephen Rivers' request to transfer after he graduates this spring, allowing him to play wherever he wants next fall.More >>
Wednesday, February 19 2014 4:05 PM EST2014-02-19 21:05:35 GMT
After a surprising end to the 2014 recruiting trail that earned LSU the number two ranked class in the nation, the momentum hasn't stopped for the Tigers.Les Miles and LSU added two more verbal commitmentsMore >>
After a surprising end to the 2014 recruiting trail that earned LSU the number two ranked class in the nation, momentum hasn't stopped for the Tigers.More >>
Monday, February 17 2014 12:14 PM EST2014-02-17 17:14:20 GMT
With LSU's baseball team taking the diamond last week and the basketball team trying to make one of the post-season tournaments, I have to ask, is it too early to start talking LSU and SEC football? Nah,More >>
While you might be surprised at who has the toughest schedule in the SEC, the team with the weakest schedule should be no surprise at all.More >>
From LSU Sports
Second-ranked LSU opens Southeastern Conference play on Saturday, traveling to face Auburn in a nationally-televised contest at 6 p.m. CT on ESPN in Jordan-Hare Stadium.
LSU goes into the game coming off a 63-14 win over Idaho, while Auburn survived an overtime scare from Louisiana-Monroe, 31-28. Last year, LSU posted a 45-10 win over Auburn in Tiger Stadium in what was the largest-margin of victory for either team in the series. LSU leads the overall series, 25-20-1.
LSU goes into the Auburn game riding a 24-game winning streak in games played during the month of September (last loss at Auburn, 2006) as well as the nation's longest regular-season winning streak at 16 straight (13 in 2011, 3 in 2012).
With its win over Idaho last week, LSU set the FBS record for consecutive non-conference regular season wins with 40 in a row dating back to the 2002 season. LSU also set the school record for consecutive wins in Tiger Stadium at 20 straight. With its 63-14 win over Idaho, 16 of LSU's last 17 wins have come by double-digits and the Tigers have scored 40 or more points in 13 of their last 17 contests.
LSU goes into the Auburn game leading the SEC in scoring (48.3 ppg), rushing offense (269.3 ypg), rushing defense (47.0 ypg) and total defense (205.0 ypg). LSU is also allowing just 10.3 points per game – third in the league. Junior QB Zach Mettenberger (3-0 as a starter) has completed 48-of-66 passes (73 percent) for 609 yards, 4 TDs and just 2 interceptions. Four LSU running backs have scored at least 2 TDs with sophomore Kenny Hilliard leading the way with 303 rushing yards and an SEC-best 6 TDs. Alfred Blue is second on team with 270 rushing yards and 2 TDs. Sophomore WR Jarvis Landry leads the team with 14 catches for 137 yards and 1 score.
Defensively, 13 players have at least one tackle for loss and/or a sack to their credit with LB Kevin Minter (21 tackles, 3.0 TFL) leading the way. LB Lamin Barrow (18 tackles) and true freshman CB Jalen Mills (17 tackles, 2 int., 1 PBU) are other defensive leaders for the Tigers. P Brad Wing (48.6) and PK Drew Alleman (4-of-5 FGs, 19-of-19 PATs) lead LSU's special teams.
LSU goes into the Auburn game undefeated for the third straight year and for the fifth time in eight years under Les Miles. LSU was 2-0 in 2006 and 2008 and 7-0 in 2010 and 2011 heading into the Auburn game.
• LSU is looking to go 4-0 for the 6th straight year. LSU's current streak of starting 4-0 for five straight years is the longest such streak in school history.
• LSU opened the season by scoring 40 or more points in its first three games, which is only the second time in modern day school history (SEC era) that it's ever happened. The only other time came in 2007.
• The winner of the LSU-Auburn game has gone on to represent the Western Division in the SEC Championship Game 8 of the last 12 years.
• Home team in the LSU-Auburn series has won 11 of last 12 meetings, with the exception coming in 2008 when LSU won at Jordan-Hare Stadium, 26-21.
• LSU is 47-4 vs. unranked teams under Les Miles, which includes a current streak of 15 straight wins.
• LSU has scored 11 defensive TDs under defensive coordinator John Chavis (43 games). Last week, LSU returned a pair of interceptions for TDs for its first defensive scores of 2012.
• LSU has scored 18 special teams touchdowns under Les Miles (10 punt returns, 3 kickoff returns, 2 returns of a blocked field goal, 1 return of a fumbled punt, 1 return of a blocked punt, and 1 fake field goal).
• LSU has won 24 straight games during the month of September, a streak that dates back to a 7-3 loss at Auburn in 2006.
• LSU is 38-4 under Les Miles, including 22 straight victories, when having fewer turnovers than its opponent.
• LSU is ranked in the Top 10 in both the AP and USA Today Coaches Polls for the 21st consecutive week. The streak dates back to the final polls of the 2010 season.