Filming the Fourth of July scene earlier this month.
Author Nicholas Sparks with star Julianne Hough.
SOUTHPORT, NC (WECT) - This year has been busy for southeastern North Carolina's film industry. Now, leaders in Southport are looking at what went right and what went wrong with filming in their town.
The Nicholas Sparks film Safe Haven wrapped up filming in Southport earlier this month.
Leaders admit the film helped the local economy, but it also broke several city ordinances and that's causing some residents to call for a change. Town leaders are in the process of discussing ways to better communicate with both film executives and locals.
One option is creating a part-time position for the city. The person would serve as a liaison between the city, movie crews and residents.
Alderman Buddy Barnes said the city could have done a better job at keeping the public informed. He said the city is looking to possibly change current town rules to make sure there is a clause pointing out what film crews and cannot do.
"You have to look at how an event like this affects individuals," Barnes said. "Yes, as a whole it's a really good thing but different individuals and different people react differently to the situation."
But Barnes said there isn't a lot of room in the budget for a part-time position. He said however, an alderman or another city employee may take on those responsibilities.
There currently are not any other movies scheduled to shoot in Southport.
A public hearing for the changes is scheduled for September 4. The public is invited to come out and voice their concerns about the recent filming.