Fire engulfs home in Wilmington

Firefighters have extinguished a house fire on Allen's Lane, between Wrightsville Avenue and Oleander Drive in Wilmington.

The fire started around 4:00 Wednesday afternoon. When firefighters arrived, the front and inside of the house were fully engulfed with flames.

Black smoke hung above, and flames shot out of the house, which was unoccupied at the time. No one was injured in the fire.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire within about 45 minutes, but live power lines created additional problems.

The fire brought down power lines, causing sparks and more fire. With the help of Progress Engergy, they were able to secure the lines a short time after extinguishing the fire.

Fire officials do not know yet what caused the blaze, or the circumstances surrounding the fire.

Fire officials say they are continuing to investigate, and will remain on the scene through the night to make sure there are no smoldering remains.

Reported by Sara Straeten