- 1 (2 ½ to 3 pound) fryer
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 quarts water
- ¼ pound cooked pork or ham, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) can chopped or diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (16-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen butter or lima beans
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen sliced okra
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½-1 cup sweet barbeque sauce (adjust to your taste)
- 1-3 teaspoons hot sauce (adjust to your taste)
Combine first 3 ingredients in a large pot and bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is done and falling from bones. (An alternative method is to cook the chicken in a crockpot overnight, but do not add water.) Remove chicken from broth, reserving broth and cool chicken completely. Remove skin and bones from cooled chicken and coarsely chop meat.
Combine 2 quarts reserved chicken broth, chopped chicken and all remaining ingredients in a large stock pot or Dutch oven. Cover and simmer at least 2 hours or until mixture is of desired consistency, stirring often. Discard bay leaf before serving.
May be served over rice; but always with cornbread.