Family shaken up after fighting off attempted carjacker on North Kerr Avenue

Qureshi Hasnain Khalid (Source: NHC Jail)
Qureshi Hasnain Khalid (Source: NHC Jail)
Blake reenacting Tuesday's events
Blake reenacting Tuesday's events

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Some might consider it to be a parent's worst nightmare: a violent stranger tries to steal the family car while a teenager is sitting in the back seat. That's exactly what happened to one Wilmington family Tuesday.

A police spokesperson said 23-year-old Qureshi Hasnain Khalid, who was a stranger to everyone else involved, approached a car parked in a driveway in the 400 block of Kerr Avenue.

According to Twanda Blake and her daughter Kristin, that's where the trouble began.

While they don't have many injuries to show for what happened in their driveway Tuesday, they do remember every frightening detail.

Blake and her 13-year-old granddaughter were heading out for just another day of afternoon errands. But in an instant, it all went wrong.

"All of a sudden this door opened," said Blake. "[The suspect] put his arms all the way around my neck and grabbed my neck and literally pulled me out of the car."

Blake says when the man pulled her from the car, everything inside of her told her to not to give up, so she held on to anything she could grab: a door handle.

"And I didn't know…if I let go, if I was going to get run over, 'cause I didn't know where [the suspected attacker] was going to go," she said.

The car dragged her on her back to the end of the driveway, leaving track marks on the ground from her shoes.

Blake and her daughter say their attacker was out of his mind on drugs.

"His eyes were very, very glassy," said Blake. "It's like he was looking through me, not at me."

Blake's daughter Kristin and her husband were in a separate car leaving the house at the same time, but they were parked in a different area.

"The next thing I knew, I saw her being dragged and heard her just screaming for help, you know, in agony," said Kristin.

She and her husband didn't waste a second before jumping into action, getting physical with the man and throwing punches. As a result, Kristin now suffers a broken hand.

When the police showed up, the family says it took around five officers, pepper spray, and needle injections to get some control over the suspect.

"They tried to beat the snot out of him... you know, [Khalid] was fighting back that hard," said Blake.

Blake says she's thankful she and her granddaughter got away, but she's still shaken by thinking of what could have been without the help of her family.

"If they had not been here things would have been a lot different," said Blake. "I don't know how I would have been able to live, you know. I don't know if I could have ever dealt with that."

According to investigators, a doctor in the emergency room also says it appeared that Khalid may have been high.

Khalid was charged with assault inflicting serious injury, simple assault, assault on a female, and resisting/delaying/obstructing public officers.  His bond was set at $4,000.

Copyright 2011 WECT. All rights reserved.