Faulty electrical wiring cause of Brunswick County house fire - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Faulty electrical wiring cause of Brunswick County house fire

Posted: Updated:
Some of the damage caused by the fire at Hewitt's home. Some of the damage caused by the fire at Hewitt's home.

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WECT) - A Brunswick County family is still cleaning up after their home caught fire over the weekend.

Homeowner Tina Hewitt was in bed with her daughter when she says the ceiling caught on fire.

Hewitt says the source of the problem was faulty electrical wiring in a wall, and the fire department agrees, saying that there were multiple shorts near an electrical outlet.

The fire caused a lot of damage to the home, and now, she's working to get the wiring fixed.

Hewitt has two children, and says that despite the circumstances, the damage could have been much worse.

"Their Christmas right now is out the door," she said. "I'm going to do what I can to make sure they get Christmas. But it's going to be kind of hard right now."

Tina advises that anyone who has older electrical wiring in his or her house should have an electrician check out, so that what happened to her house won't happen to someone else's.

Copyright 2011 WECT. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow