A family moves on after a devastating fire

Saturday afternoon Tonya Medcalf watched her house on Parmele Road in Wilmington go up in flames.

Firefighters scramble to put out the blaze, but not much was saved.

The fire started after a 7-year-old's birthday party. The children were playing with candles when they accidentally set a mattress on fire. Medcalf was just thankful no one was hurt.

Sunday Medcalf goes through her damages, in disbelief this incident has happened to her, "You see it on TV and you see it happen to other people you think not me."

Medcalf was able to save some scrap books and pictures, but everything else was destroyed. There has been an overwhelming amount of support from friends and family.

Medcalf says, "My oldest child said, I didn't know people were this nice anymore." And luckily they are, as this mother tries to move on after being burnt by loss.

Reported By: Maggie Alexander  e-mail: malexander@wect.com