Police video raises questions in death of Cincinnati man

In Cincinati, a coroner has released the autopsy report of a man who died after being beaten while in police custody.

Monday officials released police in-cruiser video showing the fatal altercation Sunday night between Nathaniel Jones and Cincinnati Police officers.

Police struck the 350-pound victim repeatedly after telling him sixteen times to put his hands behind his head.

Jones struggled with the officers until he was finally subdued by several officers using nightsticks and pepper spray, who then cuffed Jones hands behind his back.

Reports indicate that when paramedics arrived Jones was still conscious, but later died at the hospital.

Cincinati Mayor Charles Luken watched the entire police video - several minutes in length - with City Manager Valerie Lemmie.

Luken felt the audio was revealing and that it appeared police were acting in accordance with how they are trained.

"I also see the police officers look like [they're] making a concerted effort not to hit Mr. Jones in the head," said Luken. "I mean, they are trying very hard not to hit him in the head."

The autopsy report shows that as a result of being struck with batons, the 41-year old Jones suffered bruises to his right calf, thigh, buttock and flank.

The coroner's press release also revealed that Jones had an enlarged heart consistent with hypertension heart disease.

Preliminary drug tests showed he had both cocaine and "angel dust" in his system.

But the coroner has yet to make a final ruling on what caused Jones to die.

The six officers involved in the incident have been placed on administrative leave while investigations continue.

An employee at a fast-food restaurant called 911 at about 5:50 a.m. Sunday to report that a man had passed out in the grass outside. Emergency personnel arrived and reported that the man was awake and "becoming a nuisance" at the restaurant, so police were called.

Calvert Smith, representative for the Cincinnati NAACP branch held a press conference Monday in response to the beating.

"We are not trying to say that this gentleman is innocent," said Smith. "I don't know what the circumstances were, but I have seen the film...and the kind of beating that I observed would raise questions in anyone's mind."

Members say they plan to launch a full scale investigation.