TROPICAL STORM IRENE: Moving out of New England - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

TROPICAL STORM IRENE: Moving out of New England

 

Hurricane Irene made landfall Saturday morning at Cape Lookout as a Category 1 Hurricane. The massive storm pounded the Carolinas overnight Friday and Saturday morning with heavy rain and very gusty winds, spawning several dangerous storms, causing damage, flooding, and widespread  power outages.

As of 11 p.m. Sunday, now Tropical storm Irene was centered over extreme northern New Hamshire at 45.3 N and 71.3 W.

The storm is moving north-northeast at 26 mph. Irene continues to accelerate northward bringing heavy rain and tropical storm force gusts to New England this afternoon and evening.

Irene did bring heavy but much needed rain to southeast North Carolina with widespread 3-8 inch amounts reported.  Winds did gust close to hurricane force Saturday morning along the beaches of New Hanover county.  A 70 mph wind gust was reported at Wrightsville Beach.

[See More Maps]

 [What is a forecast model?]

Maximum wind gusts as of 12:30 a.m. Sunday

Below are the maximum wind gusts recorded at various locations in southeastern NC.

94mph Jacksonville
72mph Masonboro Inlet
70mph Wrightsville Beach
70mph Holly Shelter Game Land
68mph Bald Head Island
66mph Supply
66mph Wilmington International Airport
62mph Springmaid Pier
58mph Topsail Beach
58mph Bladen Lakes
53mph Southport
52mph Sneads Ferry
48mph Whiteville
47mph Sunny Point
49mph Myrtle beach
43mph Lumberton

  • First Alert Weather NewsFirst Alert Weather NewsMore>>

  • First Alert Forecast: unsettled but not a washout for the holiday weekend

    First Alert Forecast: unsettled but not a washout for the holiday weekend

    Friday, May 25 2018 2:30 PM EDT2018-05-25 18:30:30 GMT
    A tropical storm is likely to form in the Gulf of Mexico soon. Much of its moisture will stay to the south of the Carolinas but local shower and storm chances will grow from 30-40% Saturday and Sunday to 50-60% by Memorial Day itself. (Source: WECT)A tropical storm is likely to form in the Gulf of Mexico soon. Much of its moisture will stay to the south of the Carolinas but local shower and storm chances will grow from 30-40% Saturday and Sunday to 50-60% by Memorial Day itself. (Source: WECT)

    A tropical low pressure system in the Gulf of Mexico will swirl moisture into the Carolinas Memorial Day weekend. Odds for showers and storms, initially low, will trend higher in this time.

    More >>

    A tropical low pressure system in the Gulf of Mexico will swirl moisture into the Carolinas Memorial Day weekend. Odds for showers and storms, initially low, will trend higher in this time.

    More >>
  • NOAA issues active 2018 hurricane season outlook

    NOAA issues active 2018 hurricane season outlook

    Thursday, May 24 2018 11:18 AM EDT2018-05-24 15:18:35 GMT

    The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration issued its seasonal outlook for 2018 Atlantic tropical storm and hurricane activity Thursday.

    More >>

    The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration issued its seasonal outlook for 2018 Atlantic tropical storm and hurricane activity Thursday.

    More >>
  • First Alert Weather: rules to live by in Hurricane Season

    First Alert Weather: rules to live by in Hurricane Season

    Monday, May 21 2018 11:39 AM EDT2018-05-21 15:39:41 GMT
    Follow these ten rules to stress less and stay in the know each and every hurricane season! (Source: WECT)Follow these ten rules to stress less and stay in the know each and every hurricane season! (Source: WECT)

    Hurricane Season is a physical and emotional rollercoaster. It is a season of storms... and rumors of storms. It is a season of action... and anxiety. So how can you possibly stress less? Follow these rules!

    More >>

    Hurricane Season is a physical and emotional rollercoaster. It is a season of storms... and rumors of storms. It is a season of action... and anxiety. So how can you possibly stress less? Follow these rules!

    More >>
Powered by Frankly