WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Wilmington doctors are trying to save the hand of a 12-year-old boy who was injured trying to help his sister after the earthquake shook Haiti last week.
Carlens Delfils was brought to the United States when the only medical treatment available to him on the island was amputation.
Doctors from New Hanover Regional Medical Center and Wilmington Orthopaedic Group performed surgery Tuesday night that lasted about four hours. Doctors worked to repair nerves, tendons, and broken bones that were injured during the earthquake.
Haiti victim in Wilmington for surgery
Carlens was released from the hospital the next day, just as the outpouring support from the community had just begun. Steve DeBiasi with Wilmington Orthopaedic Group said many people have been calling to offer help.
"We were surprised by it, but not too shocked, because we know people were generous and were looking for away to connect with victims of the earthquake," said DeBiasi.
DeBiasi said since people living along the coast have been through natural disasters, they can in some ways share a bond with those in Haiti.
"We've all gone without power or water for days after hurricanes, so it's nice to be able to connect and give back even though they're in much worse situations then we've ever been," said DeBiasi.
Doctors say Carlens probably won't be able to return to Haiti for another six to eight weeks. He and his family are staying with Dr. William Sutton, who performed the surgery. His doctors say his hand should be just fine.
The Wilmington Orthopaedic Group has set up a fund for Carlens Delfils and his family. The fund is through RBC Bank. Anyone interested in donating can stop by any RBC location or call 772-8800.