Dog saves family from early morning fire in Wilmington - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Dog saves family from early morning fire in Wilmington

Source: David Hines Source: David Hines

Reported by Max Winitz - bio|email
By Kim Ratcliff - bio | email

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Firefighters were called to a house fire on Guy Court off Airlie Road around 1:00 Wednesday morning. When they arrived flames covered 75 percent of the home.

David Hines, the Public Information Officer for the Wilmington Fire Department said the Clark family is very proud of their yellow lab.

Reba, their dog, was barking from her kennel in the garage and one of the boys living there heard her and went to investigate.

When he opened the garage door he saw smoke, shut the door and then woke up his brother, mother and father.

Everyone got out safely, but no one was able to get back to the garage to save Reba. The family's pet cat and a gecko may also be lost.

Investigators say the fire started from a leftover cigarette in the garage area.  It apparently set a tool bench on fire and spread from there.

The Clark family had lived in the home from twelve years and are devastated over their loss. 

The fire brought every neighbor living along Guy Court even closer together.

"It's a helpless feeling," said neighbor Cory Gore.  "You want to do everything you can and as you see - one neighbor has his storage building truck here, the other neighbors have taken off work today to help them out.  You feel so bad for your friends and neighbors."

The Clark family has another home in the western part of the state, but will be staying at a neighbor's home for several days.

Copyright 2010 WECT. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly