Reported by Max Wintiz - bio|email Posted by Debra Worley - email
NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) - Three ABC officials announced their resignation Monday morning during a press conference at the New Hanover County Government Center.
ABC Chairman Charles Wells, along with board members Richard Hanson and Steven Culbreth will officially step down from their positions January 5, at noon.
"I think it was the right thing for the board members to do," said New Hanover County Commissioner Jason Thompson.
New Hanover County Commissioners will talk about their replacements during their meeting Monday night.
"We have a responsibility to get something in place tonight on an interim basis - be it 90 or 120 days," said Thompson. "Then the process will be going out in the public and receiving applications. We will review those applications and commissioners will vote."
The New Hanover County ABC Board met in a special session last week to prepare for a public forum that was scheduled to take place during the commissioners meeting, but that forum has been canceled.
There is controversy surrounding a published report that revealed two ABC employees earn a combined annual salary of nearly $350,000. Administrator Billy Williams is paid more than $230,000 a year, while his son, Bradley, brings home $115,000 a year.
Williams recently said he would look into possibly taking a pay cut or consider retiring if county commissioners asked him to do so.