PENDER COUNTY, NC (WECT) - Topsail High School was evacuated only a few hours after classes began Thursday.
A handful of students and a staff member complained of a strange smell around 11:00 a.m., saying they were getting headaches and feel nauseous. The reports all came from classrooms near the gym.
Shortly after the complaints began, school officials evacuated the building - sending students and staff to the school's stadium. There they sat for hours as Hazmat crews searched the building for the source of the smell.
The school used the emergency phone system to let parents know what was happening, but no one was allowed to enter or leave campus. Students were sent home about 25 minutes after the school day is normally over.
After searching for hours, Hazmat never found a gas leak or anything that would have caused the smell and headaches.
Three students were taken to the hospital for routine checkups, but they are all okay.
School officials called in one more expert to search the school Thursday night, but nothing was found. Classes continued as scheduled Friday.