Posted by Debra Worley - email
WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Downtown Wilmington officials used Halloween weekend to test a new Taxi Stand Pilot Project.
The goal is to alleviate late night traffic congestion in downtown Wilmington and to keep customers safe.
Friday and Saturday nights from midnight to 3:00 am, taxis were only able to pick up or drop off customers at the intersection of Princess and 2nd Streets.
Barricades were in place from midnight until 3:00 am to prevent vehicles from accessing Princess Street.
Some businesses, residents and taxi companies said the test run wasn't perfect. Some people complained they had to walk too far to get a taxi or that cabs were leaving the queue.
Cab operators, Wilmington Downtown Inc. and city staff will meet later this week to evaluate the plan and make recommendations to the city on the establishment of a centralized taxi stand for the downtown Wilmington area.
Below is a detailed list of midnight street closings for the Taxi Stand:
- Princess and Water East Bound Lane
- Princess and Front East bound on Princess
- Princess and Second East bound on Princess
- Princess and Third Princess will be closed
The only street closed at midnight will be Princess Street. Traffic will still be able to flow out of the downtown area the same way.
Additional street closings:
- Front Street at Market North toward Princess
- Front at Chestnut South toward Princess
- 2nd at Chestnut Street Parking Deck. All traffic will exit the 2nd Street Deck North on 2nd to Chestnut
- 2nd at Chestnut South toward Princess
- 2nd at Market North toward Princess -- the turn around in the median will be blocked in front of the Dixie Grill in the 100blk of Market. Traffic will exit the Market street Deck on Market and will go toward Front. They will be directed South on Front.