Posted by Debra Worley - email
WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Over 90 years ago, Winter Park Elementary School was built as a two-room building with one teacher and 25 students.
Today, the school has 24 classrooms, 56 faculty and staff members and serves 339 students in Grades K-5.
Students at Winter Park Elm. were relocated to the Blount Pre-K School from August 2008-2009 while major renovations were taking place, including:
- New Media Center
- New classroom technology equipment
- New floor finishes
- New and refurbished ceiling and walls
- New energy-efficient windows and doors
- Two wheelchair lifts installed
- Updated heating/air system
- New fire suppression sprinkler system
- Energy-saving lighting control system
- New ramps and expanded parking lot
The school's last renovations took place in 1956, when an annex and six additional classrooms were built.
The school will hold a re-dedication celebration Tuesday morning at 9:00. There will be guided tours of the facility available after the ceremony.