Posted by Debra Worley - email
BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WECT) - Former Brunswick County Sheriff Ron Hewett could be released from Federal Prison early.
In November 2008, the 46-year-old was sentenced to a 16-month term, but because of good behavior he is slated to be released in January.
Hewett's attorney said the former sheriff could be moved to a half way house in Wilmington any day.
Hewett is in prison after pleading guilty to an obstruction of justice charge, that stemmed from allegations that he interfered with a grand jury investigation into his department.
- Timeline of Hewett's Career
- Sheriff Hewett Speaks About Investigation
- Hewett, Brunswick Co. Deputies Served Subpoenas
- More Subpoenas Issued in Hewett Case
- Sheriff Ron Hewett Issues Statement on Subpoenas
- Delving Into the Obstruction of Justice Charge Against Hewett
- Former Brunswick County sheriff found guilty on federal charges
- Hewett pleads guilty to embezzlement
- Former Brunswick Co. sheriff sentenced in federal court
- Former Brunswick County Sheriff begins prison sentence
- No additional time added to Hewett's jail sentence
- Could Hewett's Case Add Loopholes in Other Trials?