Posted by Debra Worley - email
SUNSET BEACH, NC (WECT) - The Sunset Beach Fire Department will receive nearly $1.5 million in American Recovery and Reinvestment Act grants.
"Supporting our first responders is key to keeping our communities safe," said Senator Kay Hagan in a statement. "Today's investment will ensure firefighters from Navassa to Winston-Salem have the facilities they need to protect North Carolina's families."
A total of six North Carolina communities will receive part of the $8,366,609 grant.
Assistance to Firefighters Fire Station Construction Grants (SCG) are allocated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
Senator Hagan worked with her Senate colleagues to craft the Recovery Act to create jobs and jumpstart the economy.
The grants are going to the following communities:
- Valley Hill Fire & Rescue $640,000
- Navassa Volunteer Fire Department $1,607,950
- Pittsboro Volunteer Fire & Rescue Department $607,500
- Sunset Beach Fire Department $1,494,103
- Bethlehem Community Volunteer Fire Department $2,008,515
- Winston-Salem Fire Department $2,008,541