Trial set to begin: Marine accused of beating wife with a hammer - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Trial set to begin: Marine accused of beating wife with a hammer

Jonathan Gould (Source: Onslow County Sheriff's Office) Jonathan Gould (Source: Onslow County Sheriff's Office)

Posted by Debra Worley - email

ONSLOW COUNTY, NC (WECT) - The trial of a former Camp Lejeune Marine accused of beating his wife with a hammer last year is set to begin this week, according to the Jacksonville Daily News.

24-year-old Jonathan Matthew Gould was indicted in May on charges of attempted first degree murder and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill.

Detectives say Gould hit his pregnant wife, Erin Gould, in the head with a hammer in December 2008.  She was in a coma for more than a month and lost her unborn child.

Onslow County Sheriff Ed Brown said Gould stabbed himself with a small pairing knife in hopes to make law officials believe there was a third party involved in the attack.

He told authorities that a man attacked him as he tried to enter his home early Saturday morning.

Gould told deputies he was injured and left unconscious and woke up to find his wife severely injured.  Gould later confessed to the attack.

Jury selection is expected to begin early in the week.

Jury selection is expected to begin Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning depending on court scheduling, according to the District Attorney's Office.

©2009 WECT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Mother charged with killing teenage daughter

    Mother charged with killing teenage daughter

    Wednesday, August 23 2017 6:50 AM EDT2017-08-23 10:50:33 GMT
    Wednesday, August 23 2017 6:50 AM EDT2017-08-23 10:50:33 GMT

    Burned remains found on the mother’s farm were identified as those of her 16-year-old daughter, who she gave up for adoption when she was a baby.

    More >>

    Burned remains found on the mother’s farm were identified as those of her 16-year-old daughter, who she gave up for adoption when she was a baby.

    More >>
  • Solicitor: Suspect in deadly Conway bank robbery to face two counts of murder, other charges

    Solicitor: Suspect in deadly Conway bank robbery to face two counts of murder, other charges

    Wednesday, August 23 2017 6:21 PM EDT2017-08-23 22:21:40 GMT
    Front: Brandon Council (Source: Conway Police), Background: The scene in Greenville, NC where Council was apprehended. (Source: WITN reporter Lynnette Taylor's Facebook Live)Front: Brandon Council (Source: Conway Police), Background: The scene in Greenville, NC where Council was apprehended. (Source: WITN reporter Lynnette Taylor's Facebook Live)

    The person of interest in the double-murder and bank robbery in Conway on Monday is in custody. Brandon MIchael Council was arrested in Greenville, North Carolina Wednesday, along with two other people, authorities there confirmed.  Brandon Michael Council was wanted for questioning in connection with the murder of two CresCom bank employees during a bank robbery at the CresCom Bank in Conway on Monday afternoon.

    More >>

    The person of interest in the double-murder and bank robbery in Conway on Monday is in custody. Brandon MIchael Council was arrested in Greenville, North Carolina Wednesday, along with two other people, authorities there confirmed.  Brandon Michael Council was wanted for questioning in connection with the murder of two CresCom bank employees during a bank robbery at the CresCom Bank in Conway on Monday afternoon.

    More >>
  • Police: Mass shooting at gender reveal party was 'in no way random'

    Police: Mass shooting at gender reveal party was 'in no way random'

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 1:10 PM EDT2017-08-22 17:10:56 GMT
    (Cheyanne Willis/Facebook)(Cheyanne Willis/Facebook)

    The Colerain Township woman who said she lost her unborn child during a mass shooting that left 8 injured and one dead was not pregnant, police announced Monday. 

    More >>

    The Colerain Township woman who said she lost her unborn child during a mass shooting that left 8 injured and one dead was not pregnant, police announced Monday. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly