Posted by Debra Worley - email
NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) - Retired court judges are going to back to work statewide.
The state cut the budget for the administrative office of the courts by 6% this year. Now, retired judges are going back to work for free in districts around North Carolina.
In the past, judges had been paid $400 for coming in for an emergency.
According to District Attorney Ben David, both, New Hanover and Pender Counties haven't had to use any volunteer judges just yet, but the time may come soon.
"Judges are experienced people," said David. "Some of the best we have, have retired from the system. It's important they still share their gifts with us. The fact that they are doing this for free show the commitment to public service."
According to the News and Observer in Raleigh, 4,400 retired judges have agreed to come back to work.
©2009 WECT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Netflix Originals including Grace and Frankie and Jerry Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee arrive to the streaming service in January.More >>
A Walker woman testified in court Tuesday in the case where she and her then boyfriend, Jace Crehan, 23, reportedly broke into the trailer of her convicted molester back in 2015 and murdered him.More >>
The man who started the GoFundMe for a bullied Tennessee boy is calling on donors to decide what to do with the money raised.More >>
Authorities said Christopher Bowen's mother confined him to wheelchair at various times, and at times, he was fed through a tube in his small intestine.More >>
The St. Landry Coroner's Office has released the identity of the man whose body and car was found in the same lake as a missing Shreveport woman's.More >>