Posted by Peter Smelser - email
HAMPSTEAD, NC (WECT) - A Pender County family got a shock Thursday evening when a bolt of lightning struck their home.
"Oh it was loud," said homeowner Carolyn Howard. "It lit up--cause my neighbor said it lit up his house inside."
Howard was home on Saint John's Road around 6:00pm, when it happened. The lightning hit the ground, and then shot into the side of her house.
"Everything went out--not all of the lights but some of the lights went out," said Howard. "The kids said they smelled smoke and that's when [my daughter] called the fire department and we had to get out. He told us to get out."
Howard says she's lucky that the damage to the outside of the house is minor, and inside, a fried microwave is the only sign of trouble.
The lightning strike did not spark a fire.