NC officials remind parents to not leave children in hot vehicles

Posted by Debra Worley - email

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - So far 18 children have died nationwide this year of hyperthermia after being left unattended in a vehicle, and most of those deaths happened in the southeast.

Friday, North Carolina officials demonstrated how bad it can be to leave your child inside a vehicle during the hot months of the year.

Officials put smores inside a car that had been sitting outside on an 85º day.  The temperature inside the car reach 138º and melted the smores in ten minutes.

Another demonstration showed a person's blood pressure increases as they sit in a hot vehicle.

©2009 WECT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.