Wilmington man surrenders to tree demolition crews - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Wilmington man surrenders to tree demolition crews

Reported by Max Winitz - bio|email
Posted by Debra Worley - email

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - A Wilmington man fighting a battle to keep some trees has finally surrendered.

Alex Joyce spoke on his brother's behalf and said that after camping in an Oak Tree for days Charlie Jr. knew it was time to come down after a court order was filed.

"We did what we could," said Alex.  "Unfortunately there is only so much we can do."

The Wilmington Airport Authority filed a motion against the Joyce family Monday, for delaying the progress of cutting down hundreds of trees on Joyce's property.

Now, Charlie Joyce Sr. could face a financial penalty for allowing that to happen.

The Joyce family said they don't understand how they are delaying the progress.

"I don't think we delayed the progress at all," said Alex.  "There is still a lot of work that needs to be done.  If they had any heart, they would cut this tree down last."

Airport director John Rosberough said the work should have been completed weeks ago, and the Joyce family has prevented them from doing that.

"We have permission to go on the property to cut down the tree," said Rosberough.

"60% of the trees should have been cut and it's not," said Rosberough.  "We knew this week the contractor could go somewhere else.  That's why we were pushing last week to get it done."

According to Rosberough, work will resume and the oak will be taken down early next week.

©2009 WECT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly