Governor signs NC texting ban - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Governor signs NC texting ban

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - North Carolina Gov. Beverly Perdue has signed into law a ban on drivers sending text messages or e-mails.

Perdue's spokeswoman Chrissy Pearson spread the news Friday by sending a text message reading: "This msg 2 u was composed while I was behind my desk, not behind the wheel. Hope u r not driving now."

The law takes effect Dec. 1. The legislation passed the General Assembly last week. A national group said North Carolina becomes the 14th state to bar the practice as a way to reduce driver distraction and accidents. The Governors Highway Safety Association said seven new states passed bans this year.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

 

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Grandparents shocked by reports of 13 starved grandchildren

    Grandparents shocked by reports of 13 starved grandchildren

    Thursday, January 18 2018 2:44 AM EST2018-01-18 07:44:12 GMT
    Thursday, January 18 2018 2:08 PM EST2018-01-18 19:08:24 GMT

    The grandparents say they are still in shock from learning that their son and his wife were arrested this week after their children, ages 2 to 29, were found malnourished with some in shackles.

    More >>

    The grandparents say they are still in shock from learning that their son and his wife were arrested this week after their children, ages 2 to 29, were found malnourished with some in shackles.

    More >>
  • Amazon announces finalist cities for 2nd headquarters

    Amazon announces finalist cities for 2nd headquarters

    Thursday, January 18 2018 10:23 AM EST2018-01-18 15:23:39 GMT
    Thursday, January 18 2018 10:46 AM EST2018-01-18 15:46:32 GMT
    The finalists were chosen out of 238 entries submitted throughout Mexico, the U.S. and Canada. (Source: Pixaby)The finalists were chosen out of 238 entries submitted throughout Mexico, the U.S. and Canada. (Source: Pixaby)

    The finalists were chosen from 238 entries submitted throughout Mexico, the U.S. and Canada.

    More >>

    The finalists were chosen from 238 entries submitted throughout Mexico, the U.S. and Canada.

    More >>
  • Has #MeToo gone too far? Ansari story sparks debate

    Has #MeToo gone too far? Ansari story sparks debate

    Thursday, January 18 2018 12:56 AM EST2018-01-18 05:56:19 GMT
    Thursday, January 18 2018 2:08 PM EST2018-01-18 19:08:28 GMT

    The article intimated that Ansari deserved inclusion in the ranks of abusive perpetrators, yet many readers - women and men - concluded the encounter amounted to an all-too-common instance of bad sex during a date gone awry.

    More >>

    The article intimated that Ansari deserved inclusion in the ranks of abusive perpetrators, yet many readers - women and men - concluded the encounter amounted to an all-too-common instance of bad sex during a date gone awry.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly