Three families lose home in apartment fire - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Three families lose home in apartment fire

Posted by Debra Worley - email
Writing contributed by WECT intern Michelle Peck

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Around 2:30 Sunday morning, firefighters responded to a fire at Cypress Grove Apartment building off Doctors Circle in Wilmington.

According to neighbors, the building was ignited by hot-cooking grease left in a pan by one of the apartment residents after falling asleep.

"You put grease on and forget it was on and left it in the pan and it spread up the wall," said resident Duck Kennedy.  "The buildings are old, so it just spread in ten minutes. The building was engulfed. They couldn't put it out if they wanted to."

The four-unit apartment building housed three families, including an elderly couple. It took firefighters over two hours to contain the flames, but no one was injured.

The residents will be relocated to another apartment unit in the complex.

©2009 WECT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly