Man charged with murder in Duplin Co. shooting - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Man charged with murder in Duplin Co. shooting

Source: New Hanover Co. Sheriff's Office Source: New Hanover Co. Sheriff's Office

Reported by Claire Simms - bio|email
Posted by Debra Worley - email

DUPLIN COUNTY, NC (WECT) - A 20-year-old was shot and killed while working at a Pizza Hut restaurant in Wallace Tuesday night.  Now the suspected gunman faces new charges.

Police say the restaurant was closed when a man walked up and fired six rounds through the front window.

Authorities are waiting for autopsy results, but they say 20-year-old Antonio Fenner was apparently hit twice, once in the back and once in the head.  He was taken to the hospital, where he died.

No other employees were harmed in the shooting.

"It's not a random act," said Wallace Police Chief Bobby Maready. "It's not like a drive-by shooting, where somebody's doing it just to cause terror."

Police are questioning 22-year-old Mario O'Neil Brown of New Hanover County in regards to the shooting.  He was charged Thursday with an open murder count.  That means police have not decided yet to charge him first-degree or second-degree murder.  Brown already faces a previous charge of gun possession.

Authorities say Brown is a gang member, but they have no reason to believe the shooting was gang-related.

Brown had previously worked at Pizza Hut, but restaurant employees said they would not have hired him if they knew he had a felony conviction. Brown and Fenner were also roommates until recently.

Pizza Hut was closed Wednesday and will reopen for business Thursday.  They are setting up counseling for their employees to handle the death of their coworker. 

©2009 WECT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly