WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - A Wilmington firefighter and his family were able to safely escape from their burning home early Monday morning.
Investigators say an electrical source sparked the blaze that began around 1:30 in a home on Ambleside Drive off Myrtle Grove Road.
Wilmington Fire Department Captain Gene Powell, who lived in the home, was able to warn his family after smelling smoke inside their home. Powell has 22 years of experience with the fire department.
"He deals with this every day," said firefighter Cliff Willman. "[He's] been here 22 years and has dealt with a number of fires himself. He stayed calm and got his family out and that's what's most important and he let the fire department take care of the rest."
Though the home is destroyed, a good Samaritan helped the family salvage their vehicles. The family hopes to rebuild their home in the near future. Until then, their insurance company is helping them find temporary housing.
Donations are being accepted on behalf of the Powell family at Liberty Baptist Church at 7957 market street in Wilmington.
Wilmington Professional Fire Association met Tuesday morning and presented the Powell family with a $500 gift certificate.
The association is also setting up an account at the New Hanover Federal Credit Union for donations.
Checks can be sent to:
Powell Family Relief Fund
PO Box 15185
Wilmington, NC 28408
©2009 WECT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.