Posted by Debra Worley - email
CAROLINA BEACH, NC (WECT) - The beginning of a summer-long party on the Carolina Beach Boardwalk begins Thursday.
The Boardwalk Blast consists of more than 100 events throughout the summer, including live music, dancing, fireworks, and activities for the kids.
The fun kicks off at the gazebo with a live performance from the Blues Band Mojo Collins. The free concert begins at 6:30 Thursday evening.
Events take place six days a week until August 27.
The schedule is as follows:
- Tuesday is Family Night 6-8pm includes bounce house, kids' activities, variety shows, story telling, arts & crafts. Free
- Wednesday is Cash Bingo 6-8pm, Cash prizes up to $1,500. Nominal fee to play.
- Thursday features Live Music at the Gazebo 6:30-9:30pm. Great local or regional bands perform at the Gazebo stage before and after the fireworks display at the Boardwalk. Free
- Friday 6-8pm. Shaggin' is back at the Boardwalk! DJ Music and some of the best shag dancing ever. Free
- Saturday is Kids Bingo 6-8pm. Great family atmosphere. Kids can win prizes and have lots of fun! Nominal fee to play.
- Sunday Trop Rock DJ 6-8pm. Island country & Carribean tropical rock music. Time to relax and enjoy before the movie at the lake! Free
Also offered at the Carolina Beach Boardwalk this summer are free surf lessons on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1-3 PM at the Boardwalk Welcome Center plus arts, crafts, bocce ball and volleyball available for FREE on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 4-7pm.
"This is our version of a stimulus plan," said marketing committee member Sharon Lyons in a statement. "We wanted to offer free or very economical events for families and people of all ages to enjoy this summer."
In conjunction with funding from the Town of Carolina Beach and a grant from the Cape Fear Garden Club, more landscaping has been done to create a terrific setting for these summer events at the Gazebo area and throughout the Boardwalk.
For more information, go to http://www.boardwalkmakeover.org/.