Posted by Debra Worley - email
WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - The annual food drive is this Saturday, so open up your cabinets and see what you can spare.
All you have to do is leave a sturdy bag containing items like canned soup, canned vegetables, pasta, or cereal next to your mailbox.
Postal workers will collect the non-perishable food items when they pick up your mail.
Volunteers will be on site at postal branches throughout the day on Saturday to unload the postal trucks. The food will then be loaded onto trucks and taken back to the Food Bank warehouse.
List of Items Most Needed (Please no glass)
- Canned Meals: Stews, Soups, Tuna, Ravioli, etc.: Pop-top cans a plus!
- Canned Fruits and Vegetables
- Paper Products: Toilet Paper, Paper Towels, etc.
- Hygiene Items: Toothpaste, Shaving Items, Soap, etc.
- Diapers and "Attends"
- Elderly Nutrition Drinks: "Ensure"
- Infant Formula (No loose glass and plastic jars of baby food as they will have to be discarded due to health regulations)
The Stamp Out Hunger! effort is the nation's largest single-day food drive, having collected more than 909 million pounds of food since it began in 1993.