Southport family loses everything in a house fire - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Southport family loses everything in a house fire

Viewer submitted photo of the fire Viewer submitted photo of the fire
Viewer submitted photo Viewer submitted photo

Reported by Max Winitz - bio|email
Posted by Debra Worley - email

SOUTHPORT, NC (WECT) - A Southport couple escaped with their lives but lost just about everything else as a fire destroyed their home.

Flames jumped from the rooftop of a house on Sheila Street in Southport Sunday night.

"They got it under control fairly quickly, but it did take a while for them to get it completely extinguished," said Fire Marshal Scott Garner.  "They were on the scene about three hours."

A grill in a pool, soaking wet clothes scattered on the ground, and a sense of sadness from friends and family is all Steven and Sharon Greer have left of their home.

"It's just really tragic," said family friend Chenelle Simmons.  "You can't imagine going through this - to lose everything.  When I say everything, I mean there's nothing in the house."

Firefighters say a grease fire on the stove sparked the blaze.

WECT was told Sharon stayed behind as the fire spread through the home.  She was searching for pictures of her son who passed away in 2004.

Sharon was able to make it out of the house safely, but she could not salvage any of the old pictures.

"If you have a fire in your home, get out and stay out," said Garner.  "The possessions and things might be priceless, but we would rather lose those than lose a life."

The Greers will begin to rebuild their lives, creating new memories while remembering the old.

©2009 WECT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly