Fire destroys home in Ogden

Reported by Max Winitz - bio|email
Posted by Laura Sinacori - email

OGDEN, NC (WECT) - Firefighters worked hard Sunday to contain a blaze that destroyed a home on Gordon Acres Drive in Ogden.

Homeowners, Julia and Ralph Caianiello were inside the home when they saw smoke coming from the air conditioning vents. Fortunately, they weren't injured.

Within minutes of calling 911, firefighters from Ogden, Wrightsboro and New Hanover County were on the scene.  Firefighters say they are especially sad that this happened on Easter.

"It's a bad deal for a fire to happen anytime, but especially at Easter," said New Hanover County's Deputy Fire Marshall David Heath. "We are in the process of trying to help folks out, making sure they have a place to stay this evening. The residence is not habitable, so we contacted the Red Cross and they will be out here shortly to see if they need anything."

Firefighters are unsure exactly where the fire started, but they say it was electrical in origin.

©2009 WECT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.