WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Friday morning the US Marshals Service for the Eastern District of North Carolina announced the results of a multi-agency fugitive roundup in the Wilmington area.
The goal of the operation was to close as many Wilmington Police Department warrants as possible and to target anyone who had run away from probation in the New Hanover County area.
Officers from the following agencies joined efforts to arrest 220 people and clear over 360 warrants.
"It's a gratifying feeling," said WPD Chief Deputy David Conklin. "I know how much work these people put into it. The detectives that prepared everything. This thing has been three months of planning. Whenever you do some kind of major operation, you hope what the success will be."
Some of the more significant arrests include those of outstanding warrants dating back to the 1980s, check fraud, and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Several of those arrested were found to have cocaine or marijuana in their possession.
"This operation is an excellent example of federal, state and local agencies working closely together for purposes of serving warrants on many difficult-to-locate felony and misdemeanor violators" said Clyde Cook, Jr., U.S. Marshal for the Eastern District of North Carolina in a statement.
Last year, U.S. Marshals task forces arrested more than 73,000 state and local fugitives. Annually, the U.S. Marshals Service arrests more federal fugitives than all other federal agencies combined.
Cook, Jr. urges anyone with information about a fugitive to call the USMS tip line, 1-877-8FUGITIVE (877-838-4484). He says all information is kept confidential and you do not have to leave your name.
©2009 WECT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.