Funeral details for boy who died from injuries suffered in house - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Funeral details for boy who died from injuries suffered in house fire

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Funeral details have been announced for an 11-year-old boy who died from injuries he suffered in a house fire which occurred last week.

According to a family friend, Kevin Boardman died at the burn unit at Palmetto Health Children's Hospital in Columbia, SC, late Saturday.

A funeral service will be held at 3 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 12, at St. Michael the Archangel Anglican Church which is located at 2211 Margaret Wallace Road in Charlotte.  Burial will follow at Amity Presbyterian Church on Sharon Amity Road in Charlotte.  There will be no visitation.  Carolina Funeral Service and Cremation Center is handling the funeral arrangements.

Family friend Sheryl Jacoppo says Kevin's death has been a devastating blow for the Boardman family.

"It's hard, the family is just taking it an hour at a time, one day at a time," said Jacoppo.  "I think it's going to be like that for a while, they're still in shock."

On Sunday, friends of the Boardman family raked through the charred rubble of their 6200 Springdale Drive home trying to find anything to salvage from the blaze which destroyed most of the home, and killed most of the family's pets.  Well wishers also left teddy bears outside the home in memory of Kevin.

He and three other family members were hurt when a fire ripped through their home around 5:20 a.m. on Thursday, Feb. 3.

Roger Moody told police around 5:25 a.m., he heard his neighbor across the street yelling for help.  When Moody looked out his window, he saw Bob Boardman's house on fire and Moody immediately called 911. 

When Charlotte firefighters arrived three minutes later, Boardman, his wife Cindy, and their 17-year-old son Timothy, were outside. 

Robert Boardman told firefighters that Kevin was still inside the burning house.

Kevin ran down the stairs halfway, but went back up to his bedroom to check on his animals.  Firefighters found him in his room surrounded by his animals.  They removed Kevin and brought him outside.

The boy was critically injured and the three other family members suffered serious injuries. 

Kevin was initially hospitalized at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte and later airlifted to Palmetto Health Children's Hospital in Columbia, SC.  As of Friday, he was still in critical condition. 

The other three family members were treated at Carolinas Medical Center and released on Saturday.

Forty-eight firefighters were called to the scene to assist in extinguishing the fire and they had it under control in about one hour. 

Neighbors said the family lived in the house at least 15 years.

Twenty-two pets, including 13 cats and 9 dogs, died in the fire.  Firefighters were only able to rescue two cats.

Officials say the fire was accidental and it caused $150,000 in damage. 

There were no smoke or carbon monoxide alarms present in the house according to fire officials. 

The fire department says you should make sure to have a smoke alarm in your house and test the smoke alarm regularly.  In addition, you should practice an escape plan and establish a meeting place in case a fire occurs in your home.

A spokesperson for the Boardman family says they are grateful for all the thoughts and prayers.

Robert Boardman's co-workers have set up a fund to assist the family with medical and living expenses.  If you would like to make a donation call 704-568-7804, or toll free at 1-866-761-1292.   

Copyright 2011 WBTV. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by Frankly