WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - A validated gang member who is accused of trying to strike police officers with his vehicle in December has been arrested,
Maurice Antwon McKeithan, 24, was located and arrested Thursday night by members of the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force, along with members of the Wilmington Police Department and New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office.
According to WPD officials, officers were patrolling in the 1000 block of Love Alley at around 1:30 p.m. on Dec. 16 when they saw McKeithan, who had outstanding warrants.
When officers with the Mobile Task Force got out of their car, McKeithan allegedly rammed his vehicle into their car and sped off in the direction of a WPD officer and a NHCSO deputy, narrowly missing them.
McKeithan then fled the scene at a high rate of speed.
After locating McKeithan, officers executed a search warrant for a residence on N. Seventh Street where they located two stolen handguns.
McKeithan has been charged with:
- three counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill
- possession of heroin
- possession of marijuana under 1/2-ounce
- three counts resisting/delaying/obstructing public officers
- speeding to elude arrest with aggravating factors
- hit/run/failure to stop/leaving scene of property damage
- reckless driving to endanger
His bond has been set at $400,000.