NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) - New Hanover County celebrated a milestone Tuesday in the construction of the Public Health and Social Services building with the addition of the final beam.
Members of the Board of Commissioners, Public Health Board and Social Services board signed the beam during a ceremony Tuesday morning.
The new building, located behind the current DSS site on Greenfield Street, is projected to be finished by fall of 2019 with services beginning in the spring of 2020.
The new 96,103 square-foot facility will include:
- Four stories
- A large multipurpose room (3,300 square feet) on the first floor with the ability to split the room using a movable wall
- A green roof and roof terrace located on the third floor, accessible through a large staff break room on the fourth floor
- Tall windows on all floors to allow plenty of natural light into office spaces
- Energy efficient features – Duke Energy estimates the building will consume 29% less energy than a standard office building of the same size.
- A public transportation stop located conveniently at the public entrance of the building