WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Hi on a Thursday! I hope you can take advantage of the nice weather today! Light winds, dry skies, and 50s and 60s for daytime highs will be ideal for errands and projects. Your First Alert Planning Forecast features dry weather for much of next week, too, but in between - whoa - a big rainstorm remains likely to lumber through the Cape Fear Region between Friday and Sunday. Key points for this stormy forecast remain:
- Closing in on 100 inches of rain! Wilmington has officially received an epic 97.7 inches of rain so far in 2018 and, by Sunday, an additional one to three and locally five inches of rain will have likely fallen.
- Be alert for flooding... The National Weather Service has hoisted a Flash Flood Watch for all of southeastern North Carolina for Friday and Saturday. Be prepared to avoid any poor-drainage or lowland flooding.
- Be alert for storms... Abundant wind energy in the lower atmosphere could support a brief severe thunderstorm window either late Friday or early Saturday. Plan to stay extra weather-aware in this time!
- No snow this go around... The Carolina storm system from this past weekend had a distinctive and disruptive snowy and icy edge to it but, both locally and regionally, this next one’s going to feature exclusively rain.
- Tailor your forecast... The planning forecast you see here reflects your WECT Weather App’s Wilmington zone. Tap into the app from your location to see more tailored numbers for you!