NC-9 candidate McCready withdraws concession, calls on Harris to speak up

Dan McCready withdraws concession from District 9 election

SOUTHEASTERN NC (WECT) - A candidate withdrew his concession in a state Congressional race and demanded his opponent speak up about possible election fraud.

Dan McCready, a Democrat who lost to Republican Mark Harris by nearly 1,000 votes in the general election for the 9th Congressional District — which includes Bladen and Robeson counties — released a video on his Twitter feed Thursday evening calling for Harris "to end his silence and tell us exactly what he knew, and when."

Voting irregularities in NC-9 have come to light after the November election, including allegations of absentee by mail ballot fraud in Bladen that have delayed the board’s decision to finalize results of the race.

“Last week, we began to learn about shameful, criminal activity bankrolled by my opponent to take away North Carolinians' very right to vote,” McCready said in the Twitter video. “That’s why today...I withdraw my concession to Mark Harris, who’s remained completely silent. Join me in this fight for the people whose voices were taken from them.”

A leader of the North Carolina Republican Party says the organization would be open to a new election if an investigation were to find a high likelihood that wrongdoing swayed the state’s unresolved congressional race.

Copyright 2018 WECT. All rights reserved.